Three out of Four People Deal with Family, Financial, Home and Auto Legal Issues
Des Moines, IA (August 21, 2012) — A new ARAG® study reports that family, financial, home and auto-related legal issues are on the rise. Three out of four people — more than 74 percent — experienced at least one legal life event in the past year. This is up from 69 percent in 2007. The study also found that these legal life events decrease productivity and increase absenteeism at small businesses and large corporations across the United States.
“Americans are asking for help,” said David Murray, President and CEO of ARAG, a global provider of legal solutions. “The anemic economy and mortgage crisis; increased consumer fraud; and higher prevalence of eldercare have become silent killers of workplace effectiveness. People need assistance preventing and solving their legal issues.”
The ARAG-commissioned study titled “Measuring the Effects of Employee Financial and Legal Woes” was conducted by RussellSM Research in March 2012. The study reported that:
• Seventy-four percent of Americans dealt with one or more legal life events in the past 12 months.
• Among those who experienced an event, 40 percent experienced four or more legal life events in the past year. This number rose dramatically from 28 percent in 2007.
• Fifty-five percent of employees who experienced a legal life event reported it impacted their work. This number is up from 45 percent in 2007.
• In the past 12 months, employees, on average, spent 17 hours at work and took 9.5 days off work to deal with legal life events.
• Seventy-five percent of Americans said it would be useful if their employer offered legal solutions.
ARAG (www.ARAGgroup.com), whose North American operations are based in Des Moines, IA, is a global provider of legal solutions. The company has an international premium base of nearly $2 billion and it protects 15.5 million individuals and their families — worldwide. ARAG empowers individuals to protect their families, finances and future by providing outstanding service and meaningful relief for everyday legal issues.